Thursday, October 23, 2014

Literary Fiction & Empathy

How can reading fiction help you understand others?  Use Hamlet as an example to explore your own thinking process and reactions to a character's innermost thoughts/struggles. 
        Reading this article took a turn on my brain. Before I would have thought that people that read the more popular modern novels relate and interpret the novels more on a personal basis because the popular novels talk about and are based on today's society. Reading literary works from the past to me can be very interesting because I enjoy history, but let's be honest, most of those works are extremely boring and contain no interest in an 18 year old. When I read a boring story I lose interest immediately and don't fully grasp and understand what the author is trying to get across within the relationships or the purpose of the characters. I agree with the statement that reading fiction can help boost the readers social perception and emotional intelligence and in a way that the readers can relate to the situations because they occur in real every day lives. For instance, in Hamlet when we discover that his mother, after his father dies, marrys his uncle. I understand and can relate to his perspective because of that were to happen to me and I were in that position I would have  been extremely angry and have created a huge resentment towards my mother and "uncle". While reading the emotions and thoughts of chatacters portrayed in fiction novels/stories, the audience is able to relate to the emotions and feelings as if they were experiencing a situation like that themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment